I love music. Whether I'm in the car for five minutes or five hours, it's always on. I will often times pull in somewhere and stay in the car if a good song is on.
But there is one thing I can't stand about music in the car, and it's this: unintentionally listening to a stupid song on the radio, only to finally change the station and catch the tail end of one of my favorite jams. I hate that!
And yet sometimes I think that's what we do in life. We settle for a job that's not great but not miserable because it pays the bills for now. We settle for surface friendships because it's easier than being honest with ourselves and with others. We settle for unspoken and underlying conflict within our families because no one wants to make family dinner an awkward thing. We unintentionally (and sometimes very intentionally) settle for mediocre when what we could have is so much greater.
"So Joshua is speaking to all of us when he says, 'Choose for yourselves
this day whom you will serve.' At least, he is saying, make an educated
decision on the great goal of your life. Otherwise you will passively
flow into some choice by mere osmosis, a little bit of you at a time,
until you find yourself inside a temple bowing to a god you never consciously chose." -Kyle Idleman, Gods at War
I read that book two years ago, and yet that excerpt has stuck with me. I want to make sure I am intentional with how, who, and what I fill my mind and my life with. I don't want to miss out on every great thing God has for me because I was too preoccupied with mediocre at best.
No comments:
Post a Comment