Last Wednesday I did a dumb thing. I was straightening my hair in the morning and, not being fully awake at that point, rested the straightener on my neck, leaving a very noticeable burn mark. My first thought was 'wow, that really hurt'. My second thought was 'wow Abby Jane, you're really dumb'. My third thought was 'I'm going to have to find something to wear to the banquet on Friday that will cover up this ugly burn mark'. I put a scarf on for the day and walked out the door.
I think a lot of times one of our first instincts when it comes to pain or ugliness in our lives is to cover it up. To not let others see it. To often times fool ourselves into thinking it is something we can handle on our own. To think it would be better if others didn't know about it.
I know there is a lot of pain, a lot of messiness, and a lot of ugliness in my own life, but I always want to remember this: God is able to redeem any situation in my life to bring Himself glory IF I will allow Him to work in me and through me. It is all about bringing Him glory.
"Is there an easier way to being God's person than through enduring tribulations? Believe me: I have been looking for one. I must honestly say, though, that it has been the dark, difficult times of testing in my life that have brought me to where I am today. We need occasional mountaintop experiences, but the fertile soil for growth is always down in the valleys of tribulation, not on the mountaintops." - Victory Over The Darkness by Neil T. Anderson
No comments:
Post a Comment