Saturday, January 9, 2010

"I didn't pray BIG enough."

The truth is, I have had this blog entry in my head for a couple days now, but I've been afraid to write it down. I want to do it justice, and I doubt I will, but here is my attempt anyway:

"Intercessors have an essential role to play in creating a better future for our world, because intercession is spiritual defiance of what is in the name of what God has promised. The shape of the future will be determined by those who can survey all its various possibilities and who, by faith, latch on to one as inevitable. History belongs to the intercessors who thus believe the future into being." -Walter Wink, Sojourners Magazine

Sunder Krishnan, a speaker at Urbana 09, used this quote to preface his talk on praying big and praying bold. I didn't go to Urbana, but my boss brought home the DVD saying, "you have to watch this." If you have 25 minutes, watch. I promise you will not be disappointed.

After watching the video, my friend Kelly shared this story with me. For the past 9 months, Kelly and her family have opened their home to one of our Chinese students. A few weeks ago, she was preparing to return to China for 3 months for a visit. In her culture, money is very important, so instead of following the advice of a well-traveled church member and taking the most direct flight option, she chose to take the cheapest route which included about 6 transfers. When they got to the airport, she began to realize how difficult it was going to be with her broken English and began to panic. As they were walking down the corridor, Kelly just kept assuring her, "God is big, God is big, it's going to be okay", all the while wishing she would have listened to the advice of others. When they got to the gate, Kelly was hoping that she could find a flight attendant who might be able to help her at least through her first connection in Chicago. While she was looking, she saw an Asian-looking family, took a chance, walked over to them and asked, "excuse me, do you happen to be going to China?"

Their answer was big. HIS answer was big. The man looked at her itinerary. They had the exact same itinerary up until her destination. Not only did they have the exact same itinerary, they spoke the same language- the same dialect. Kelly was overwhelmed. "I didn't pray BIG enough."

This week my uncle, who has been hospitalized for over a month with no clear diagnosis, was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic in hopes of answers and a clear treatment plan. My cousin Tara is a few years older than me, lives in Vegas, and has been home since Christmas taking care of her dad as best she can. For her that means paying his bills and sitting by his hospital bed all day. She left for Cleveland the morning after he was transferred with no place to stay, no connections, and nothing to do but sit in her dad's room, watching him get weaker. I have been praying for his healing, for comfort for her, and for both of them- and the rest of their family- to find Christ in all of this. One night at dinner this week, my friend Katrina came to mind. I went to Taylor with her, and I know she lives in Cleveland and works at a hospital there. I hadn't talked to her in probably two years, wasn't even able to find her phone number, but sent her a message on facebook (which she is rarely on), telling her about the situation and just asking if maybe she could stop by and check on them if they happen to be in her hospital.

Her answer was big. HIS answer was big. Katrina doesn't work at the same hospital, but she stopped by on her way to work Friday morning anyway. She offered for my cousin to stay at her place, which is less than ten minutes from the hospital. She gave my cousin her number and promised to call her every day to check on her and see if she needs anything. On the same day, they finally gave my uncle a diagnosis. They will start treatment on Monday.

I sent an e-mail to the parents yesterday with the first part of that quote from Walter Wink, asking them to share their prayer needs with me so I can pray what God has promised for them in their current life situations or circumstances. I have already received responses from three parents and have began searching Scripture to see what it is God has for me to pray for them in those circumstances.

In 2010, I want to pray BIG, and my prayer is that you will do the same. He has shown me that He is more than able to answer my prayers. What if I start praying BIGGER? What more will He show me? What more will He do?

I can't wait to find out.

No comments: