Sunday, January 16, 2011

Friendship.

Over the holidays, I was able to spend time with friends. Friends I have known for a life time or so it seems, those I have only known for a short time, and those who I have just recently met.

I tend to place high value on friendships. I enjoy knowing there are a few people I could call if I'm ever in crisis or even if I just want to laugh. I love discussing life, love, and other mysteries with those who believe and think the same way I do as well as those who don't. I love sharing life. I love community.

Recently, a couple I know who are working in France shared this prayer: that God would help them build bridges of friendship that will sustain the weight of truth. Mainly, the truth of the Gospel of Christ. That statement is so beautiful to me. Build a bridge too weak- not enough strands, not enough labor, not enough time- and it will collapse under the weight of the Gospel.

I'll be honest, it's beautiful, but it's a challenge. In my friendships with those of other faiths- how much weight can the bridge bear at any given point? How much is too much to say? Do I say anything? Do my actions speak loudly enough for now? It is a balancing act at times. It is the perfect word picture for the struggles I often face in these friendships.

I pray that God will continue to allow me to build these bridges. And to build them strong- to put in the work, to put in the time- so that they will be able to hold the truth of who He is.

I better go...I have a few phone calls to make and a few letters to write :)

No comments: