Thursday, January 15, 2015

Grace in place of grace.

Like most people in the beginning of the year, I've set some "personal resolutions" for 2015. I do this every year- usually doing really well at first, falling off the wagon, semi-getting back on, and then doing so-so throughout the rest of the year. I figure if by the end of the year, I've kept my resolution for at least 150 out of the the 365 days, that counts for something, am I right? It's 150 days. 150 days that I was able to do something I didn't do the year before. I'm okay with that.

One of those things is drinking an obscene amount of water. Like literally, it's insane. I've peed more in the past 15 days than I'm pretty sure I've peed in the last two years. We'll see how the year progresses. Hopefully my bladder expands. TMI? Maybe.

Another one of those things is completing the #SheReadsTruth Bible reading plan for the year. I'm currently behind, but I suppose I didn't want to tell you that. But now you know, so I guess that's where we're at.

In my reading last week, I stumbled upon this verse:

"Out of His fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given." John 1:16

And from it, I have determined this:

Because of who He is and what He has done for me, I can continue to extend grace in place of grace already given to others.

Because here's the thing: what I have been given from Him, I do not deserve. I have done nothing and will do nothing that will somehow credit what He has done for me. So how can I justify being stingy with others? How can I choose to not overlook offenses against me when I am the highest offender?

So that is another one of my goals this year: to extend grace in place of grace already given. And when I feel I'm at the end of my rope, I will continue to extend grace. Because that is what I have been asked to do, and because that is what I am capable of doing because of what He has done for me.

What about you? Any resolutions for 2015?




No comments: