Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Funny Moments Part 2.

Libbie and I have been best friends since 5th grade. This past week we spent a significant amount of time together preparing for a baby shower for our other friend Jess. Libbie herself is 38 weeks pregnant. It seems like everyone I know these days is pregnant or trying to get pregnant, but that's kind of beside the point.

Throughout our many years of friendship, I can probably count the number of times I have seen Libbie cry on one hand- with most of them occurring during a chick flick. I'm also talking like a few tears here and there, not outright sobbing.

Since Libbie has been pregnant, the number of times I have seen her cry has increased exponentially. She called me on Friday night, a little exasperated by everything she had to do in preparing for the next day. I tried to calm her down and remind her that at that time the next day, the shower would be over with and she could go on and have her baby.

We were meeting at the hall at 11am, and I had made sure they all knew we had to be there at 11am sharp. We only had a couple hours to setup, and I had no idea what we were walking into as I had never been to this particular hall. It got to be close to 11:30am, and Lib still hadn't showed up. I was getting a bit worried that maybe she had gone into labor or something and asked someone to grab a phone and call her. At that same moment she was calling to have us open the door for her.

I will never forget her face. I was standing in the entrance to the hall and when Hannah opened the door for her, she came straight towards me with a crock pot of chili. Her face was a hot mess, looking like she had had a total meltdown. She looked at me, handed me the crock pot and said,

"I've had a bad morning."

sniffle sniffle

"I had two crock pots of chili..."

sniffle sniffle

"and now I only have one."

sniffle sniffle

"The other one is in my car."

sniffle sniffle

I'm pretty sure I just said "okay. okay. okay." over and over as the rest of the girls calmly went out to her car to see the damage.  She had been on her way to the hall when an ambulance came by and the girl in front of her slammed on her brakes. She had to slam hers and, well, you know the story. They got her car mostly cleaned up, and we went on to have a great time at the shower. The best news was- we didn't even need the 2nd crock pot of chili! We had plenty of food to go around.

I will never forget her face as she walked into the hall.

I will also never buy a crock pot without a locking lid.

(just an hour or so after the disaster...all smiles!)

No comments: