When I was in college, my brother and I were forced to share a car. (I know, right?) At a certain point in time while we were sharing the car, he was dating this chick who shall remain nameless. It was between Thanksgiving and Christmas break, so naturally I had my Mariah Carey Christmas CD in the car. She asked my brother if she could borrow it, and of course he said yes. Unfortunately for me, they broke up over Christmas break and my CD was never to be seen again.
(Fortunately I whined about it enough that my dear friend Laci, who loves music probably more than I do, provided me with a new copy- and was also kind enough to include Martina McBride's Christmas CD on there as well. Thank you, Laci- I owe you one. or two.)
Music in general is a very emotional experience for me. My family is very musical, with all of us learning to play at least two instruments and growing up singing together, it has always been a part of my life. I can remember the way I felt attending my first gospel choir concert, musical, and Broadway production. I can also vividly remember times of worship in groups, camps, services, etc. that were very emotional for me. I can also remember certain songs that helped me get through tough times of loss. Put me in an emotional situation, and 90% of the time I probably won't cry. Add music to it, and it's almost guaranteed I'll be in tears.
I love Christmas music. I love music in general, but ah, Christmas music- it has a special place in my heart. Here is why:
When it comes to Christmas, the lyrics of many of the songs so powerfully speak of our God and King coming into the world as a humble baby. I can't help but be drawn to worship Him as I listen, reflect, and sing of the events of Christmas. I don't know how people do it- artists who sing of "O Holy Night" and "O Come All Ye Faithful" and yet have no clue who He is. I love Christmas music because it makes a loud declaration of who my God is and speaks such truth that it is hard to miss.
I pray that throughout this season, more people truly listen to the words that are being played over radios across America and ask the question, "Who is He? Who is this baby that demanded and still does demand such attention from the entire world?"
No comments:
Post a Comment