Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Four-Way Stop.



In my short, seven-ish years of driving, I have managed to master something not many are able to accomplish in a lifetime of driving: showing proper four-way stop etiquette. I understand, it can be very tricky, so I've decided to list a few helpful hints in overcoming the trickery of the four-way stop. Now, I'm not so naive to think that more people that just my close friends and family read this blog, but my hope is that someone, somewhere might benefit from the following tips:

1. Never, ever look another driver in the eye...trust me, it will only lead to more confusion.

2. After you break tip #1, don't start with the "taking turns waving each other on" game. Quickly break eye contact and just go.

3. Honestly...blinkers are helpful in this situation. It would be good to use them.

4. Hesitating is a bad idea. Don't do the whole stop and stutter thing. If you are gonna go, just go. If someone hits you, I hope you (but mostly they) have (good) insurance.

5. When all else fails, just go clockwise around the circle, letting everyone have a turn. I know, this is the step in which most people are tricked, but it really is just that simple. Really, it is.

No comments: