Saturday, December 13, 2008

I hate chick flicks.

Okay, I lied, I really don't hate chick flicks, but I do hate a certain element of them! Out of all the movies I own, about 80% of them are what you would call "a chick flick." I know, I know...but I'm a girl, what can I say? However, there is one element that a large number of them include that gets me more emotional than any sappy, perfect-love-story, happy ending:

Miscommunication. In case you have no clue what I'm talking about, I'll give some examples:

How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days- the scene where Kate Hudson walks out of the ball after she just realizes she also was just a bet at first, and they fight on the stairs, and it's just so obvious that they are in love but they just think it's all a lie for the other person to win a bet!

27 Dresses- when Katherine Heigl finds the article and thinks he just used her for a good story, but she doesn't know he never wanted it to go to print after he got to know her and fell in love with her!

Win A Date with Tad Hamilton- when she thinks Tad is saying all these sweet things to her, and it was really the cute little hometown boy who knew all of those things about her and Tad was saying them to her to make her think he deserved her!

I could go on with other examples from movies like The Holiday, Hitch, and probably the best example ever, Pride and Prejudice, but I think you get the point. Since I own these movies, I know you won't believe me if I tell you I don't like them, but I think my heart and blood pressure would probably be a lot better off if this certain element was eliminated! However, would I still like the movies as much as I do if this element was missing or do you think this element is what makes the movie exciting and unpredictable (although most of us know 99% of chick flicks are predictable...)? Any thoughts?? :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

totally agree. 100 percent. I love the movies but during the like 5-10 minutes when they are dealing with this certain "miscommunication" I am usually pissed and yelling at the tv and telling the characters what they don't understand or just squirming in my chair...we should buy a blood pressure pump and do some research on this.