I sat in shock at the lunch table last Thursday. I already knew what they were telling me, I know I did, but it was as if I was hearing it for the first time. My Turkish friends were telling me that because the original text of the Qur'an is in Arabic, they read it because they are required to as part of their Muslim faith in Arabic, but they don't understand it. This group of women meet every Wednesday night so someone can read a portion aloud, and then one woman interprets it so the women can discuss it.
About a month ago, I gave one of my friends a Bible in Turkish as a gift. She told me how special the gift was to her, that she would save it forever. I never realized what it might mean to her to have what she views as "a holy book" in her own language.
How often do I take the Bible, the Word of God, for granted? How many times in my life have I gone at least a week without even picking it up?
I have so much to be thankful for:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:26-27
No comments:
Post a Comment