Friday, June 12, 2009

A Day in the Life of Abby Jane.

I really shouldn't be allowed to go to more than one or two places in a day because I see too many funny things and I want to blog about all of them. But then that makes for a pretty long entry that, although funny, probably wouldn't get read because of length. So, I've narrowed it down...

Top 3 Funny Things (that have happened in the last 24 hours):

1. "Interfaith Blood Drive, Monroe Lutheran Church, Saturday, June 13, 8am-5pm"
I saw this banner as I was driving down the road yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud. Not because an interfaith blood drive in and of itself is funny (I'm sure it's a great thing acutally), but because I got this mental picture of several religious leaders in the community sitting around this table brainstorming, "So...what should we do to unite all of the different faiths in the area?" And then someone says, "I know...a blood drive!" Maybe it's just me, but blood drive wouldn't have been my first vote. In fact, it wouldn't have even been a bubble on my brainstorming diagram.

2. Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.
It's true. Yesterday, as far as I can recall, was the first time I have ever talked to a nun. I was walking out of Hobby Lobby (which is a Christian-owned company...I think that's why they are allowed to shop there) and there were two elderly nuns in front of me. (No, this isn't a joke.) One of them was unsure of where to drop her cart off, so she sort of just left it near the front of the store. I noticed a cane was left hanging on it, so I said, "Excuse me sisters (no, I didn't really say sisters...although I should have), is this one of yours?" And then the gushing began. "Oh, thank you so much!! Oh dear, thank you. God bless you! Oh, thank you so much. Have a wonderful day!!" They were such nice ladies! However...I was a little worried about their driving abilities and quickly returned to my car and got out of the parking lot before they could have their Ford Taurus in gear.

3. Meet Black Singles Today.
I normally get a kick out of spam mail that comes to my gmail account. My favorites are "It's Just Lunch: The Dating Service for Busy Professionals"...because I seem to get those a lot. But today I think I have a new favorite: "Meet Black Singles Today". And my spam filter didn't even catch this one, so it was delivered directly to my inbox. And I just keep wondering...what website did I go to in order to be flagged to receive that email?

So there you have it...my top 3 from the past two days. What are your Top 3? When was the last time you talked to two elderly nuns?

No comments: