"Welcome to the stage in your life when other people care more about your love life than you do." - my older sister Bethany, married at age 26
Recently, I have uncovered plots of several, well-meaning friends. It's true. I have discovered at least 5 plots- in which 3 of the men do not currently live in the States interestingly enough. I will spare the details because really, these are well-meaning friends and I don't want to embarrass them all, but I am hoping it is because they love me and not because I scream desperate. However, this one is my favorite, so I will share:
My friend Donald, who has been dating my best friend Libbie for the past 5 years, is from the Ivory Coast. His parents just recently moved to Toledo back in January. His mom doesn't speak much English, and so they came to visit me at the school. I tested her speaking and writing skills, helped her sign up for classes, etc. but then it turned out transportation would be an issue so she wasn't able to attend. However, she never forgot that day and every time she sees me she just smiles and hugs me and kisses me and tells Donald all the time how much she loves me. So Thursday night, Libbie tells me that Donald's mom wants to hook me up with her cousin. I laugh and think she's joking, but she's not. Then on Friday night, I see Donald's mom at his birthday party. Her English has improved a little since January, and this is what she tells me: "Ahh, Abby! My brother marry you. Yes, it's true! I love you, and my brother marry you. It is good thing, yes! He is a good drawer. I give Libbie picture for you." I just laughed my way through the awkwardness of this conversation and just focused on the fact that she is doing this because she loves me and not because she is trying to ruin my life.
So this cousin/brother? Well, I guess in Africa everyone is everyone's "cousin" so I don't really know how directly related he is yet. However, he does still live in Africa, is an art teacher, and is sending Donald's mom a picture of himself to give to me. And he's 27.
Ay yi yi. I'm not ready to start filling out personal ads yet, so I don't think I'm ready to start courting art teachers from Africa either!
No comments:
Post a Comment