Thursday, August 27, 2009

# 20: Boys vs. Girls

"He created them male and female and blessed them."
Genesis 5:2

Last night I was once again reminded that boys and girls are created very differently. At the core of who we are, we are very different.

For our ending night of VBS, we decided to hold a free car wash for members of our church to put into practice the lesson they had learned of serving others. The boys and girls were pretty evenly matched in numbers, so we decided to have the boys wash cars for the first half hour while the girls at ice cream and then vice versa. For the first half hour of the car wash, the boys were all about gettin' er done. They washed like 6 cars (it was pouring down rain by the way, so our car wash wasn't too popular) and kept complaining that they needed to advertise more because they weren't getting enough business. They got wet, well mostly because it was raining, but only as a side effect of washing the cars so vigorously. When it was time for them to switch out with the girls, they weren't happy about it. One of my more sensitive boys almost started crying because he hadn't gotten a turn using the hose. Luckily, I know this boy also likes to eat so I said, "Hey! Go get your ice cream! It's waiting for you!" and he happily ran inside.

By the time the girls got out there, not only were they hyped up on ice cream, it had also started to rain even harder. They washed a total of 2.5 cars the entire time they were out there. They could have cared less about washing cars- what they cared about was getting each other soaking wet with the hose, laughing, talking, and having a good time. It was a social event for them. And once they soaked Ms. Abby with the hose, it was all downhill from there.

The difference between the two groups was like night and day. I could see it all the way from the 3 year-old boy out there with his little sponge scrubbing Check Spellingthe cars to the 6th grade girls laughing and throwing buckets of water at each other.

And I can't help but know that His design is always the best. And I'm not saying girls who get 'er done or boys who are more social are wrong or weird or stupid or messed up. I'm saying that we live our best lives when we live as we were created to be- whatever combination that may be. ESTJ? INFP? ENFJ? Lion? Otter? Golden Retriever? Sanguine? Whatever. that. may. be.

No comments: