Sunday, January 18, 2009

How was your Sunday morning?

Okay, okay, so maybe my last post was a little bitter and complain-ey, but I really can't help it...I'm living in a snowglobe up here! And now I will share what happened today as more of a humorous story rather than a complain-ey one, although I'm not looking forward to clean up tomorrow!

So this morning was a typical Sunday morning when I'm not "in charge." The director and I switch off each Sunday for which one of us has to be in around 8:30am and is in charge for the morning schedule and pretty much the "go to" person. So, theoretically, today I had minimal responsibilities. Around 8:40am, she called and left me a voicemail that said she "needed to tell me a couple things." Well, normally what she has to tell me involves people not being able to show up, her having to switch a few room assignments, etc. Since I tend to be a last minute person, I normally don't let that information bother me and just care to deal with it when I show up. So, after I got out of the shower and saw that she had called again, I figured I should return the call. After playing phone tag, she asked "where are you?" I told her I was just getting ready, as usual, and I'd be in a little bit before 10am. And then she said, "well, the reason why I was calling is because the entire children's center is flooded. A pipe burst in the library, and our office is flooded, the main kid's worship room, the nurseries, and a couple other classrooms." Ha!

Fortunately, it only managed to ruin one shelf of books out of probably 15-18 shelves in the library. I believe the damage will be minimal (we are still hoping my computer tower, which was on the floor, will live), but the clean up process was not! We had about 10 of our trustees working all morning with squeegees, wet vacs, fans, etc. while also trying to lay out all the damaged library books to dry. Our job was to relocate all of the classrooms up to the third level of our church, making about 15 trips up and down three flights of stairs carrying a variety of items from tables and kid-size chairs to glue sticks and scissors! Not to mention someone had turned the heat on high upstairs and had left it on a little too long...so arriving in a 90 degree classroom after carrying things up three flights of stairs was not too much fun!

I came home, ate lunch, and took a two hour nap.

Talk about a crazy Sunday morning! I should never again complain about normal Sunday mornings downstairs...they will probably never top this morning!

No comments: