Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Excuse me ma'am, could you help us?"

I shouldn't be allowed to give directions. Today as I was walking to my car after church, a nice, older couple stopped to ask me for directions. They were WAY lost, so it took me a while to decide which route they should take (they were looking for a place that was about 25 minutes away). After feeling pleased with the directions I gave them, them writing them down and saying thanks, they drove away and I continued walking to my car.

And then it happened.

That instant where all of the sudden I realized I gave them poor directions. It's not that I gave them wrong directions, but I gave them confusing ones...when there were really simply ones available. And the sad thing is...it's not the first time it's happened. In fact, I think it happens every time I give someone directions. The moment they pull away, I realize I could have told them this way easier route or I accidentally told them a left instead of a right or I told them 24N instead of 25N and I feel so bad. You see, I'm actually really good with directions, but I cannot for the life of me explain it to other people. I think that translates to other parts of my life too, but we won't go into that tonight.

So I have a new plan. Now, each time someone asks for directions, as long as they aren't shady and I know they are legitimately lost, I am going to trade cellphone numbers with them. So when I walk away and remember the road splits and they need to go left, I will call 'em up. Or further down the road when I forgot about the slight curve after the stop sign, they can call me and say, "hey, what's with this road? You didn't tell us about this!" I will graciously explain to them that I forgot about it, help them to the next step, and hopefully they won't lose any more time.

That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments: