Saturday, February 28, 2009

Small Treasures.

When I was in college, my roommates and I referred to the boys we had crushes on as "small treasures." I'm not really sure how this got started (I think Yes Fo or Terry started using it first) but somehow it stuck through the years.

Last night as I was crawling into bed, I wanted to take another look at a couple of the passages the speaker at the conference I was at this weekend referenced. However, I had a small problem. The bulb in my bedside lamp went out a few weeks ago, and since I never use it any other time, I don't think about it until I need it...and by then I am far too cold and lazy to get out of bed, run downstairs, grab another light bulb, and then change it. (I would also like to add that even though I am thinking about it now, I'm still not going to do it...and also that I think it requires a special bulb, so it might actually require me buying one, not just running downstairs.)

So I pulled out my pink travel maglite I bought before I left for Africa that I keep by my bed. If you haven't read Scripture by flashlight recently, I highly recommend it. I felt secretive. I felt sneaky. I felt like I was searching for small treasures, and I loved it.

If there is one thing I regret about college, it is that the majority of my time, with the exception of some of my senior year, was spent focusing on the other small treasures in life. Now I don't mean just boys, I mean everything else wonderful about life that distracts me, mainly, from my personal relationship with my Creator. It wasn't that I was seeking other things, I just wasn't seeking Him. I regret that. Can I change that? No. Can I change now? Yes.

I will always be a seeker of truth and of small treasures that are greater than I can imagine.

No comments: