Today was kind of a bad day. Not for any one reason, just kind of a bad day. But don't worry, I'm not going to talk about my kind of bad day.
So yesterday my friend Annie (who happens to be Indian) and I were talking about the Oscars. She mentioned Smile Pinki, and I said I wanted to see it. She told me she saw it, and I asked where because I didn't know if it was out or where I could rent it from. She said, "Actually, I have it...my sister-in-law bought it from an Indian store in Cincinnati. I have it until she comes this weekend, so I will try to remember to bring it tomorrow so you can watch it." I thought, 'perfect!' Tonight was really the only free night I had that I might even have time to watch it. She then mentioned the way India is portrayed in a negative light and something about how it took a British guy to make the film in order to give it so much publicity. I was confused for a minute because I thought a woman produced it...but I thought maybe she was confused too, so I didn't say anything.
Today when she handed it to me, I looked at it, and saw it was a burned DVD. (For the record...I'm not sure I've ever watched a pirated movie in my life.) I didn't think anything of it except it had the initials. "S.M." on it. I thought, hmmm....I thought the movie was called Smile Pinki, but...oh well! (Does anyone see where I am going with this?)
So I told Libbie that I was going to watch it, and she should come over after speaking at a college class not too far from my house. She called and said she was exhausted and probably couldn't stay awake through a documentary. I said, no problem, fixed my dinner, and sat down to watch it. I put it in and guess what came up? "Slumdog Millionaire". Ha! I called Libbie, and she probably almost considered turning around since we both had wanted to see it, but I told her if I liked it enough, we could go see it this weekend haha. I said to her, "It's like thinking you were going to watch a gallery rental, and you got a new release for free!" It's true, that's how I felt. Because as much as I wanted to see Smile Pinki, I wanted to see Slumdog more.
And so I did. And now my day doesn't seem all that bad.
1 comment:
and please say that you thought it was one of the best movies you've ever seen....or was the pirated version not so great?
Post a Comment