Sometimes I'm a little more than jealous of people who have no sense of smell. Trust me, most days I am grateful for my God-given ability to smell, but some days I just wish I didn't have it. Like, for example, this weekend when I changed two of the smelliest diapers I have ever smelled in my entire life.
However, I enjoyed studying the senses in college (even if they were through horrible videos Dr. B. put in and then quizzed us on things like "what was the actress' name?") One thing I learned was that women often connect certain smells with certain emotions, feelings or memories and that a certain smell can bring those things to the surface more often than anything visual, as is normally the case for guys. I believe it...for two reasons:
1. When I was around 14, almost a decade ago now, I was in love. And this boy who I loved wore this cologne that I swear only guys over 60 are allowed to buy. Even to this day, I can pick that smell out in a crowd of 60 year-olds, and I all of the sudden turn 14 and get all these butterflies in my stomach and am waiting for him to come over all over again.
2. When I was working at the coffee shop, I always smelled horrible. I smelled like food, old coffee, and dirty dish water all at the same time. It was disgusting. So, I carried a bottle of Magnolia Blossom (or as Jess likes to call it..."Mongolia Blossom") body splash in my purse so everyday before and after work I would drench myself in it. Now, I can't even put on the lotion without getting this awful thought in my head that I'm headed to go make lattes for rich doctors.
No comments:
Post a Comment