I think it goes without saying that most people have some type of irrational fear. When it comes down to it, you could probably get them to admit that it's irrational, but it doesn't really matter- they are going to continue to live with that fear for probably the rest of their lives. For a lot of people, fears are the result of an experience.
My irrational fear is snakes. I call it irrational because I'm afraid of all snakes. Today I was walking outside and talking on my cellphone. I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, looked down, and saw a snake. I screamed (sorry Jess, I didn't mean to hurt your ears) and ran away. Wanna know how big the snake was? Oh, roughly 12 inches long. It was probably skinnier than my middle finger. I would venture to say that if it would have bitten me, it would probably have hurt less than a bee sting. People tell me all the time "they are more scared of you than you are of them"...nope, still doesn't matter. I hate them.
I've never been bit by a snake, I've never seen or even heard of a friend being bit by a snake...I have no experiences that resulted in this fear. I remember incidents from my childhood(normally involving my siblings) of being afraid of snakes and screaming and running away, but I never remember being intrigued by them or stopping to look or hitting them with sticks or anything- mainly just screaming and running.
And I blame Satan. Do any other kids who grew up in Sunday School feel this way? I'm pretty positive my fear of snakes came from being told over and over again about the deceptive, cunning, and all-around awful serpent.
But I guess the older I get, the more I wish I would react to the devil's schemes and lies much like I react to snakes. Not in response to fear, but more so that instead of being intrigued or stopping to look, my first reaction would be to scream and run away. When tempted to believe his lies, I would scream the truth so loud that it hurts his ears.
I've heard a quote recently that might sound a bit cheesy, but it made me laugh. "Be the kind of woman that when you wake up in the morning the devil says, 'Oh crap, she's up.'"
Yeah, I wanna be like that.
2 comments:
maybe you should watch this - http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=71890346723
Brandon, don't worry- my sister already so graciously sent that video to me. Once again, my siblings continue to show such love and care for me and my fears!
Post a Comment