As my family and I were spending some quality time together on Easter Sunday, we were watching the Masters. I have to admit, this is the only time I have ever found golf exciting. For the most part, golf for me just means bad memories, but we won't go into detail.
And in the end, I found myself feeling awful for Perry. I was doing my whole getting-overly-emotional-over-sports thing. I was frustrated that it all came down to one hole and one lousy stroke- until I realized something. It really didn't. He had three days of holes and birdies and pars and strokes to get to where he was. He could have won earlier, but he didn't, and that's what got him to the sudden death.
It's the same way with people. We get overly emotional. We think it all comes down to this one decision or this one mistake, but really, it's been a long time coming. We think we are blindsided by this single act or choice, but it's been coming for a while and most of the time we just choose not to see it. We fool ourselves into thinking it was a surprise.
It doesn't just happen, it's a slow fade.
No comments:
Post a Comment