Friday, April 24, 2009

The Truth About Elephants and Peacocks.

I spent the last two days down in Cincinnati, visiting my little nephews. Regan had surgery on Tuesday and is recovering well, but they have to stay in the Cincinnati area for a week in case of any complications. Today we took a break from hospitals and hotel rooms and took the boys to the Cincinnati Zoo for a few hours. It was fun for the boys, and we all had a good time. However, I honestly feel as if a lot of things I believe in were put to the test today. Here are my Top 5:

1. The zoo is a happy place.
I think I saw more kids crying than actually smiling. Between being hot, having to stay with the group, getting nibbled on by the goats in the petting zoo, defying normal nap time hours, having to move on to the next exhibit, hunger and not being allowed out of their strollers, kids had a lot to complain about today. And complain they did.

2. Kiddie leashes are a bad idea.
I've always believed kiddie leashes were wrong. I always thought, 'my goodness, they aren't animals!' However, as I saw a child who was approx. 3 years old climb under the fence and onto the zoo train tracks (and didn't see a parent within 10 feet of him), I really began to wonder.

3. Strollers are always convenient.
Let's face it- by the end of the day, most parents are carrying their 25lbs. child in their arms AND pushing an empty stroller. Not only is the stroller empty, it is extremely difficult for you to maneuver through large crowds with it. So in the end, you are stuck with a screaming child in a large crowd and not able to get to the exit as fast as you should before a total meltdown begins.

4. Animals are always fun to see.
I like most animals, I really do. (Except cats...which we've talked about.) Today we were standing there watching the "cute" elephant and all of the sudden it looked like a fire hose shot out of his backside. I am not kidding you, it was at least 5 gallons of urine. (It's true, I googled it- the average void for an elephant is 5-11 liters, amounting to a staggering 50 liters/day.) Needless to say, I left the exhibit immediately.

5. The more the merrier.
I love people. I am often described as a people-person! Today...there were too many people. I think every school in Cincinnati declared today "Zoo Day" and every student at the University of Cincinnati decided to chaperon these groups. Also, all the homeschool moms got together and said, "Hey, let's go to the zoo today!" and then about 50,000 other people decided it would be a good idea to go too. Is it possible to feel claustrophobic in a 1/2 mile wide park?
Why yes, yes it is.

No comments: