Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rants and Raves.

Today a couple of ladies at work tried to tell me I didn't have a strong personality. My boss actually said, "I mean, I like it that I can't walk all over you and that you won't let people push you around, but I wouldn't say you have a strong personality." And then another lady chimed in and said, "Well, we are all older than her. I can see her being intimidating to people her own age."

Intimidating. I hate being referred to as or called intimidating. Surprisingly, I would rather be called a lot worse of things than intimidating. I mean, if we are talking about my ability to beat you up, then okay- I understand that...but that I'm an intimidating person? I don't buy it.

A couple summers ago, my friend and I were traveling to a wedding with one of our guy friends. We were telling him all of our relationship troubles, and he responded with "Well, you are both intimidating women! You are attractive, smart, capable, independent women who don't really need a man, so as a man...you are tough women to approach because we don't really think we have anything to offer you."

OMG. (Sorry guys, I'm going to be a little harsh here.) In my opinion, saying the reason why you don't approach a woman is because she is intimidating is saying 2 things: 1. I'm lazy but I want you to believe it's my fear of rejection stopping me and 2. I don't really think you're worth it. If they really think that these "intimidating" woman are so amazing, then they should be willing to take what really is a small risk in the scheme of life.

One of my relationships in college that failed miserably (and I'm glad that it did- thank God for unanswered prayers, right?), ended with this being the last thing he has ever said to me: "I always told you you were out of my league, I guess I was right..." I can't even to begin to express how upset I was by that comment. Even now, 4 years later, I can still feel my blood pressure rising. Is that really true? Honestly? Or is it just another excuse to be lazy? I mean- if I was with you, I obviously saw some redeeming qualities...right?


Is there such a thing as leagues?
Does it affect your dating life?
Are you intimidated by me?
Answer at your own risk...I'm feeling feisty.

No comments: