Sunday, May 3, 2009

Here Comes Goodbye.

You always know when a pastor is about to resign. They get up behind the pulpit with a real somber look on their face, and then they say: "Please turn with me to the book of Ecclesiastes." And they begin to read from chapter 3, "There is a time for everything...A time to plant and a time to uproot...A time to weep and a time to laugh...A time to mourn and a time to dance..." A time for me to stay here and a time for me to leave. But it's okay, it's scriptural.

One of my favorite lines from Dumb and Dumber is when Jim Carrey says, "(sigh) I hate goodbyes!" as he drops Lauren Holly off at the airport.

Today I experienced a new kind of goodbye. I suppose as technology gets better and better, these will probably become a lot more common, but I got an "e-mail goodbye" today. A lady who is on a committee with me was going to say goodbye at our May meeting, but since it got cancelled, she decided to write her kind words and well wishes in an e-mail.

I've also heard of teens breaking up with their boyfriends or girlfriends via a text message.

I don't plan on saying any goodbyes in this beautiful month of May, but when I do...I think I'll try not to use e-mail or text messaging. Someone told me yesterday that I have a lot of "tact" and well, I'd like to agree with them on this one.

No comments: