Friday, September 4, 2009

#12. Ink.

I never thought I had a problem with tattoos. In fact, normally when they would come up in conversations with friends like, ""Yeah, I'm thinkin' about gettin' a tattoo, I just don't know what to get..." I would agree with them. "Oh yeah, me too," I would say, "I mean, I would totally do it." And then I would make some joke about having Kat from (previously) Miami Ink do it because she is totally bad A and a really good tattoo artist.

I don't know if this is the day my father has secretly hoped for my entire life or not, but I don't think I will ever get a tattoo. And here is why:

1. I recently had a friend tell me that God told her to get a tattoo. My response was, "Well, I hope He doesn't ask me to get one too!"

2. I've seen too many Jesus fish on people who don't seem to live a whole lot like Jesus. (Side note: to my use of the term "Jesus Fish" my parents replied, "you mean an ichthys? I've never heard it called a Jesus Fish before..." Man they are behind the times.)

3. Dumb ideas. Raise your hand if you have ever tattooed your boyfriend's name on your neck and he left you a week later. Okay, maybe that's not always the case, but too many people get a tattoo of something that "means something to them" that 3 months down the road doesn't at all. Oh, you got a palm tree to remember that week you spent in Florida? Oh, you got a ginormous carebear on your back because your cousin's friend's sister used to call you that when you were little?

4. The old lady down the street with the withered rose on her arm. Has it always looked like a withered rose or is it the result of age, you ask? I don't think I need to say any more.

5. My high school male gym teacher had a rose tattoo on his leg. Every day he had to wear calf length socks to cover it up.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a tattoo, I probably like it if you can tell me what it means to you and especially if Kat from (previously) Miami Ink did it- I will think you are totally bad A. I just don't think it's for me.

No comments: