If you are a woman, I am sure at one point in your life you have thought about what to name your future children. (Guys, it's okay for you to do this too, but if you haven't, don't feel left out...please keep reading.) If you are a Christian, I have a feeling the thought has come to your mind, 'Hmm...should I give my child a Biblical name?'
I, for one, am a fan of my Biblical name. For those of you who have yet to come across my name...let me help you out. In I Samuel 25 verse 3 it goes something like this: "His name was Nabel and his wife's name was Abigail. She was an intelligent and beautiful woman, but her husband, a Calebite, was surly and mean in his dealings." Minus the whole marrying a fool part, I'm pretty sure you would like your Biblical name too if you were described as intelligent and beautiful. However, I can understand your discontentment with a name like Judas or Jezebel.
All of that to say, I am a fan of Biblical names (although there are some non-traditional names I am also drawn to). I imagine my children will have a mixture.
However, there is one name that I anticipate having to fight my future husband for, but it's going to happen. (I might put it in the pre-nup...just playin'.) A long time ago I read a certain Bible story, and I was immediately drawn to the name. I remember thinking how strong the woman was and how kind of proud I would be to be her mom. And it's not because I'm about women's rights and women are just as strong as men and all that stuff, I just remember her doing something kind of gross but so calmly and with such strength. The story is found in Judges 4 where a woman named Jael put a tent peg through the head of an army commander. And as sick and disgusting as that is, she knew what God asked her to do and she did it.
And just in case any other kids discover what her name really means in Sunday school, my plan is to name her with the initials J.L. so her mommy can call her that and can one day share with her the reason why, but it will be our little secret so (hopefully) she won't get made fun of in Sunday school. Or, even worse, having her friends think her mom is weird.
Oh, and hopefully I won't marry a fool. Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment