"And I said what about Breakfast at Tiffany's, she said I think I remember the film and as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it and I said well that's the one thing we've got..."
Have you ever seen Runaway Bride?
If you haven't, quick rundown: Julia Roberts keeps leaving guys at the altar, and Richard Gere is a journalist who has figured out why she always leaves...and in the process has fallen in love with her. Got it? Good.
Ike (R.G.) claims she doesn't really know who she is. With every new guy, she changes to like whatever he likes. You like backpacking? Me too. You like motorcycles and tattoos? Me too. By the time she gets to the altar, she realizes they have no common ground, and she runs.
This happens all too often. People pretend to like things they really don't just because they think it will get the person to like them more. But in the long run, where does that get you besides two years down the road with a person you have no common ground with and don't even really like?
I have to be honest, when I was younger there were things I pretended to like that I really hated. Like in high school when I went over to my boyfriend's house for dinner and his mom made the worst chicken ever. Ew. I hated it. (Then again, I don't think that is one of those things you can really admit within the first month of dating.) Or golf. I hated golf, but I pretended I was interested. In three different relationships even!
But the older I get, the more honest I am with myself and with others. Yes, I hate fish. I won't eat eggs any other way than scrambled. With cheese preferably. I hate sci-fi anything- books, movies, etc. I don't enjoy them. And I really don't like golf.
What about you? Have you ever pretended to be someone you are not?
No comments:
Post a Comment