Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blessed to be a blessing.

Wow, what a full weekend. Thursday was the last day of classes before the six week break. Friday I spent the day in Cleveland visiting a former student with 3 other ladies and a baby boy. (I drove my mom's van and felt like an old lady, even though I am a decade younger than any of the other ladies.) We got back just in time for the "Family Game Night" at the school. About 80 people came- students, volunteers, staff, and friends of the ministry. I played Jenga with two little boys from Iraq who just thought it was funny when they all fell. I played Mancala with a little girl from Turkey who didn't quite get it, but I felt bad that I kept beating her, so I finally decided to let her play with no rules. ("Oh look, you get all of these ones too!")

I got home on Friday night and started cleaning. On Saturday evening, I had three of my friends over- ages 9, 11, and 12. We ate pizza, played games, and watched (ay yi yi...) "Beverly Hills Chihuahua". This morning I made them breakfast, and we left for church. Today at church we had Bill Fay come for a one day seminar on "Sharing Jesus Without Fear" with a message this morning and then a 2 hour workshop this evening.

There is something so draining but so fulfilling about ministry. 'It's a good tired'...this is what I said every Tuesday night after ReaLife in college. Nothing wears me out more than children's ministry, but it is so worth it to me. Spending time with kids who can't play games in English because their parents don't speak it well enough? You got it. Spending time with kids whose dad just left the home? Sure thing. Giving up "my" weekend for all of this? No problem.


I saw the Bible I gave her on the shelf. She didn't throw it away.

"Only one word in the beginning. Only one truth will prevail. Only one love brings you freedom. Only one Man took the nails. And I'm singing to the God who brings redemption to the nations, Kings and oceans bow to Him in praise. And I'm singing to the God who wrote the book on our salvation, To the One who covers me in grace...I'm singing."

No comments: