This week, while my parents and I were having dinner, we had a conversation about the differences between my sisters and myself. Between the three of us, my parents (who love us all equally) have a drama queen, a stoic, and a "bubbly one" (I actually believe my dad's exact words were, "and then there is you....ohh, hee hee, ha ha, wooo!"). My mom then said, "You live up to your name well." My given name, Abigail, means father's joy while my middle name, Jane, means God is gracious.
In college, I shared an office with a guy. One day he just looked over at me and said, "How do you do it?" I was really confused...."Um, what do you mean?" He then explained, "No matter what is going on, you are always in a good mood. I mean, even if you are stressed, you still laugh all the time!" I looked at him and laughed.
A lot of times, I really like who I am. I see the way that stress or circumstances often changes people's lives in ways they sometimes can't even explain but often times in very deliberate and negative ways. I don't want to be like that. Sometimes I can be mistaken for not taking life too seriously, but I don't believe that is true at all. I believe my gracious God has a plan for me- what that includes, I'm never exactly sure, but I do know that He has plans to prosper me and for me to have life and to have it to the full.
While it may come more easily to some, I do believe it is a choice. We can have hope, or we can live as those who have no hope.
I choose joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment