Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm 23 now, but will I live to see twenty-fow?

Tonight as I was driving home and listening to the radio, they played the word "throwback" about 3 different times in different digital voices and tones. And then the song played...Gangsta's Paradise. I have three very distinct, throwback memories involving this song:

1. My friend Marcus telling me I was the coolest girl in the whole 5th grade class because I knew all the words to this song. (?)

2. My boyfriend at the time, in 5th grade, thinking I was equally as cool. We also decided that this would be "our song" along with "California Love". (?)

3. When we were in Guatemala, my brother and I were riding in the van with our friend Alvaro when this song came on the radio. The next thing we knew Alvaro was nodding his head and singing along. Aaron and I started cracking up, and we asked him, in broken Spanish, "How do you know this song?!" He told us he had won a dance competition with it the year before. Aaron and I just about lost it...and there we were, all 3 of us- in a van in Guatemala- singing along to Gangsta's Paradise. (Apparently the song transcends all kinds of cultural boundaries...)

And that is my throwback moment with Gangsta's Paradise.


PS. I still know all the words.

No comments: